Image Map

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Paint:Lab

Have you heard of these instructed painting sessions that include drinking wine and eating?? I found a groupon and jumped on the chance!

Paint:Lab on Main Street in Santa Monica is where we went and we had a blast. We painted Van Gough's Starry Night. The instructor told us that it may take a few brush strokes to really "see" our rendition of the painting and boy was she right!

We bought the $1 smocks, and let me tell you: totally worth it! Paint was everywhere!

We both were a bit worried because neither of us are very "artsy" to begin with. So we weren't sure how our paintings would turn out - but I think that they turned out great!

  P1000744

P1000745

P1000747

The canvas before we started.

P1000748

Our paint, wine, cheese and crackers. My friend and I both almost dipped out paint brushes in the wine, on more than one occasion...

P1000750

We started out painting the entire canvas blue. To give the canvas a base coat. Once we painted the canvas, we then took a wet paper towel and wiped off the paint where we were going to paint the focus points of the painting.

P1000751

Our brush strokes and "dashes" were a reflection of our soul - according to our instructor.

I think that it turned out pretty well...don't you think??

P1000761

Boom! Van Gogh better watch out!

P1000765

P1000767

Now...where to hang my masterpiece???

We had a great time and I would definitely recommend doing this project with a friend or maybe your significant other!

3 comments:

Lindsay @ la vita dolce said...

so fun!!! Both your paintings look great!! Not sure if mine would turn out so well lol Fun night of cheese, wine and paint..I love it :)

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

I've always wanted to do that! It looks like so much fun.

Hilary said...

Aww, I love it! I did the paint your pet night, and it was just plain stressful! Too much detail and way too little time. I have no idea where to hang mine either - at least yours is art, lol, mine is a painting of my dog. Don't think my husband will let me put it anywhere it will be seen!