Image Map

Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Day in the Life: Customer Service Volume 57


Part of my job requires my coworkers to transfer calls to my department - if the customer is having technical difficulty or if the customer has an education question that the agent is unable to answer.

My buddy, the woman I sit next to, she had transferred the call to my queue and so I picked it up.
She warned me about the customer, that he was being a bit hostile and then told me his issue.

I pick up the call.
Me: Good Morning, Sir? My name is La Tache, <insert my coworkers name> told me you were having trouble opening a link on our website.
Customer: I didn't catch your name, because it foreign.

He had so much disdain and hatred in his voice.
I was about to retort back with a response, but he kept talking and I didn't want to interrupt him since he was clearly upset and I didn't want to set him off any more than he already was.

I decided to 'Kill him with Kindness' and I helped him through the steps to fix his problem, and when it was resolved, I asked him if there was anything else I could assist him with.

Customer: Yeah, every time I call, I talk to someone foreign
I couldn't let him keep saying that, so I interrupted him
Me: Sir, I am not foreign, no one in our office is foreign. We live in Los Angeles, CA

He would not drop it!
Finally, I asked him if there was anything else I could do for him, since I wasn't getting through to this crazy that we are located in LA and that we are not foreign, so he should shut up already ;-)

He then kept me on the phone for over an hour, trying to come up with other things to talk to me about.
Needless to say it was a frustrating call.

<fortunately, as you now read this...I am in my new position! yahoooo!!>

1 comment:

Nicole said...

hOLY sMOKES! I can only imagine.