I just watched Food, Inc.
Wow.
Just, Wow.
It definitely put all types of food into perspective for me.
When Sweeter and I went grocery shopping together for the first time we told each other that we wanted to buy only healthy items and cut back on all of the "bad-for-you stuff." We vowed to buy only organic meats, dairy and produce and to make sure to read any and all labels on packaged foods. We decided that we wanted to do this, even though it is a little pricey, because we feel that it is important for the environment and more importantly to our bodies (not to be selfish). We want to support local farmers and farmers who treat their animals and their produce with respect and who practice environmentally friendly alternatives in the process.
This movie was very eye opening...not that my eyes aren't already open. It just puts so much into perspective.
I have noticed, in the blogging world and outside of it, that many people are doing what they can in 2011 to eat right and exercise.
To start this kick off right, make sure that you read the labels on what you are buying. Generally the rule of thumb is to put the item back if it has more than 5 ingredients in it or if it contains an ingredient that you can't pronounce...makes sense right?!
Also, after watching this movie, a light bulb went off in my head...think about this:
Farmers feed their animals and fertilize their produce with hormones and pesticides to make them grow faster and bigger - essentially to get more "meat" out of each of their products {for lack of a better general term}. They slaughter the animals or they pick the produce that has been chemically fed, once they reach a certain size/weight which is usually sooner than it would be if the product was naturally maturing, and then they sell it to supermarkets, we as consumers then buy these products and then eat them...result: we are eating these hormones that they put into their products to make them grow prematurely as well as bigger...if we are all on diets and/or watching what we eat why do we put this stuff into our bodies knowing that that is the result?! And then we are feeding our children this stuff to make them mature faster?!
How does this make any sense!?
I am definitely promising to double check and make sure that the items we are purchasing are organic - Check out this Real Simple article
I do understand and can appreciate that items that are organically grown are more expensive than items that are processed and packages and have long shelf lives...do we really want to be putting items into our bodies that have super long shelf lives?! I know that I don't!
I would rather cut back on other spending and pay a small, extra, premium price for products that I know are good for my body. Products that I know will make me feel good, inside and out. Products that I know are made in an environment that I know is safe and comfortable and is environmentally friendly!
![]() |
| the image above has 10 things you can do to change the system... |
"People have got to start demanding good, wholesome food of us, and we'll deliver, I promise you. We are very ingenius people and we'll deliver."
You can vote to change this system,
Three times a day.
Buy from companies that treat
workers,
animals,
and the environment
with respect.
When you go to the supermarket,
chose foods that are in season,
Buy foods that are organic,
Know what's in your food,
Read labels.
Know what you buy.
The average meal travels 1500 miles from the
farm to the supermarkets,
Buy foods that are grown locally.
Shop at farmers' markets,
Plant a garden. (even a small one)
Cook a meal with your family and eat together.
Everyone has a right to healthy food,
Make sure your farmers' market takes food stamps,
Ask your school board to provide healthy school lunches.
The FDA and USDA are supposed to protect you and your family.
Tell Congress to enforce food safety standards
and re-introduce Kevin's Law.
If you say grace, ask for food that will keep us, and the planet healthy.
You can change the world with every bite.
Hungry for change?
go to
http://www.takepart.com/foodinc
or http://www.foodincmovie.com/index.php
the above has been copied from Food, Inc. (the end credits of the movie)
Wow, that was a long post..I wasn't expecting to need to rant for as long as I did :-)
Thanks for sticking with it...if you did
This is all really important stuff
and if we educate as many people as we can, maybe something will change :-)

12 comments:
This is one of my all time favorites. I would highly suggest reading "In Defense of Food" and "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan. He is an amazing journalist with a very refreshing take on grocery shopping!
Organic is great.. and once you "get the hang of it" I would take the next step and seek out exclusively pasture raised animals. Organic corn isn't quite a natural diet for these animals and it makes them very ill. It's not easy to find. but every dollar we spend is a "vote" for what we will stand for when it comes to our food and their practices. Ya know?
oof! sorry for writing a novel chica! This is one of those subjects I'm uber passionate about. I went vegetarian b/c of it. I've recently put a little poultry back in but it kills me to see the way most of these animals are raised and treated.
and the processed stuff? oh. my. gosh! gross!
Sorry for the rant! <3 I'm so glad you saw this movie! I wish everyone would watch it =)
xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons
I say that I always want to be a veggietarian, but I like chicken and beef too much. You are correct in the fact that our meat is overly processed. 1 person can go a lot and I appreciate you posting this. I do most of the grocery shopping and try not to put anything in the cart that is too bad for us. We gave up fast food a little while ago except Chick-fil-a. That I'm allowed to have 1 once a month if I please. {this will be a blog post, I swear} haha.
I'm right with you. We did all of this a few years ago and just can't bring ourselves to eat what we call food "products" anymore. Our motto is most food that comes in a box isn't really food, not when you think about what food is, it's for your body, your organs and cells, not just your tastebuds. Nutella is one of my last holdouts. Pollans books were where I got started. I've been a vegetarian for 3 years and don't miss meat one bit.
Just happened upon your blog, and I was thrilled to read your thoughts about Food, Inc. I LOVE this documentary! I'm a teacher and I show it to my high school students every semester! I have to say, I haven't eaten Smithfield pork since I watched this.
New follower! :)
I've put off watching this for a while because people had said that it would gross me out a bit and I just don't think I'm ready for that. Yep, I'm a big baby.
It's been lingering in my Netflix queue and I always feel guilty each time I pass it over. Maybe I'll toughen up and watch in this weekend. Maybe. ☺
I haven't seen this but everyone I know who has has completely changed how they buy their food. I really need to watch it!
I have to be honest, I could never go completely organic/never eat foods without anything chemically processed in them. I love my junk food way too much. However, when it comes to the stuff I cook with: meats, cheeses, veggies etc...I try to buy organic/all natural as much as possible. Even if you don't notice a difference in your health or whatever, you WILL notice a difference in the quality and taste of the foods you are buying. ESPECIALLY with things like chicken.
If you are interested in blogs about organic food etc. you should check out my friend Stacy :)
everylittlethingblog.com
This is great. I can't bring myself to watch that movie. Not sure I could handle it, but my husband and I try not to eat any processed foods. Everything is fresh and for the most part, local. I love it!
I have been scared of this movie for awhile!! You have motivated me to watch it!
I love this! Everything you said was right on the money. I don't know how I can handle the movie but just by following these few simple guidelines, it's a great start!
Such an enlightening documentary, it definitely changed the way I buy foods and eat. Great post!
I have not seen the movie, but think I might have to rent it this weekend. And more importantly, I agree with you 100 percent -- how healthy is it that the farmers are stuffing the cows, chickens, etc. with hormones to make them fatter? And what is the impact on us? Scary.
Along that note, I recently did work for a client that is in the rendering business -- essentially taking waste (grease, garbage, chicken waste, etc) and converting it back to usable products. Many of which are then fed to animals to make them "fatter" as well. Oh and this is also how they make dog food. Scary, huh?
I think its time that I start shopping at Whole Foods again, and reading labels...
Post a Comment