Image Map

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Drug Test

I got a job that starts on January 3rd! 
I am super excited about it!
It definitely made my move a lot easier knowing that I was going to have something here.

One of the pre-employment requirements was for me to get a drug test.
Yesterday, I finally went...well not finally, I was busy last week and I had to get it done at a specific place which I couldn't have done before the move.
Anyway, last week, before the holiday I called the office to ask about making an appointment as well as how long it would take.
The woman on the phone made me feel silly about asking these questions, not in a bad way...I have never had to take a drug test before...so it is new territory for me!
She told me it was just a walk in kind of test and that I should prepare to be there at most an hour.

So I go to the address I was told to go to and it is a nice looking hospital.
I walk in and the security guard can tell that I am obviously not sure where to go and tells me that I am in the wrong place and that I need to go down the road to a completely different address
I was thinking to myself..."oh great, this seems fishy...why didn't they put that address on the sheet if that is where I am supposed to go?!"

I started walking over there and then decided it was too far and walked back and drove
I found the place and got inside this big building with a lot of medical offices and I had to call because I wasn't sure in which suite they were located.

I walk in and I fill out my necessary paperwork and I sit and wait about 10 minutes when a nurse comes out and says:
"Is it, LA-TA-CHI?"
(ok imagine that being phonetically how she said it)
I thought to myself:
Great, this is going to be a long visit
And I responded with:
"It's LA-TOSH"
(again, imagine that being phonetically spelled)

I walk in and I had to put my purse in a cabinet along with my jacket
She told me to walk to the bathroom and that she would follow behind me
She gave me a cup, told me to wash my hands then to pee in the cup
and when I was finished not to flush or wash my hands and open the door so she could examine the room

I did what she asked
I followed her back to a desk where she sealed it in my presence
And then I was on my way

See...I can only speak for myself, of course, when I say that I was thoroughly uncomfortable.
I can understand all of the precautions that doctors and nurses have to take to make sure that people don't "cheat" on their drug tests
That is soo ridiculous to me!
You obviously shouldn't be doing drugs if you have a grown-up job, or any job for that matter
Maybe that should be a wake-up call to you if you need to be taking a drug test to stop doing them

Sorry for being so judgmental....
The whole experience just really put me out of my element!

20 comments:

Rebekah said...

I would have felt awkward, too!

Lindsay @ la vita dolce said...

omg they actually told you not to wash your hands and open the door so they can check inside...ahaha thats hilarious. i would have felt so awkward. i totally agree with you, if you wanna be a grown up and have a real job/career stop using drugs.

Beth Ann said...

Yep sadly the world we live in requires such precautions. :(

Anonymous said...

I've worked in the medical field for about 6 years now and that's just they way it is now. Urine samples can get contaminated very easily these days so they take the most precautions as to try and stay away from taking up too much of your time, their money, and to make sure that you in fact are not taking drugs. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable being that it was your first drug test.

Megan said...

I've had to take three drug tests for jobs and it's always awkward, but these days it's a necessity! I can never pee when it's time though! I get nervous, haha!

R said...

It would creep me out too! I think the having to go in front of someone for drug tests is the only thing I'm scared of with the military life. Ick!

Jenny said...

I used to work for child protective services and we had people do drug tests very often. You would be surprised what people will do to "cheat" on their drug test...but those doctors/nurses are smart and can figure out the cheaters usually! Funny story though, I'm glad it is over for you and congrats on the job!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

ugh i HATE employment drug tests.. i get pee shy and have to drink 2 hours worth of water and jump up and down... its rather humiliating... and awesomely amusing apparently =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Suze said...

oh man. awkward. for sure. glad its over for you though.

Christina said...

Haha, I feel the same way with the peeing in the cup every time I go to the doctor. When I was younger, they literally wrote in my chart "does not pee" ha!

At least it's over now! Congrats on the new job!!! :)

Tara said...

I've had to take drug tests a couple of times...the first time wasn't so bad, but the more recent time was awful! It was a random drug test for a job I had been working at for over a year. No big deal, I knew I would pass, but they seriously make you feel like you're OBVIOUSLY going to cheat. I wanted to be like..."I'm almost 27! I'm going to pass your dumb test." haha

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Drug tests ARE awkward, but they are designed for the people who think they know how to cheat the system... not for us. ;)

Allie said...

Agree on the awkward. Out of all the jobs I have had only one required me to take a drug test. Not my office job, not Disney World (surprisingly enough).... but Kohls. Really retail??

MLD said...

it is definitely an interesting/not fun experience. i had to get one to work for the government one summer, no thanks on a repeat.

Unknown said...

OK this post was really cute -- it made me want to hug you lol!
I have had to take drug tests for different jobs. It is amazing though that these precautions have to be taken. At least we aren't men -- the guy stands in there while they pee to make sure they haven't tucked anything away! EW!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new job! I've never been drug tested either, but have heard many peoples' experiences with it. It makes sense that they take the precaution, but you're right... it's totally sad. Plus, it's ALWAYS weird handing someone a cup full of pee, right? hehe :)

d.a.r. said...

Love that they reminded you to wash your hands, ha!

I was actually drug tested frequently in high school and college because of the level that I competed at. It's worse when you are in a bathing suit and they make you pull it down to your knees and turn around so they can check to make sure you aren't hiding anything. Guess I have no more modesty after that. Though, I do get stage fright so I had to make the lady sing to me in the bathroom once. I am pretty sure she thought I was a freak :)

BelleinBows said...

Oh girl, I understand what you mean. I have had to do that for school, I cringe at the thought of doing it again. Glad you made it out alive!

Samual said...

Its a great Blog. Dairy products are one of the biggest train wrecks of tonsil stones . Drinking milk daily, or using dairy creamer in coffee daily will result in a constant production of these nasty buggers.

Mobile Drug Tester said...

Corporates, companies are taking extra precautions towards their employees, these drug tests are mandatory to see that the newly hired employee is in good health.