Since before the divorce was filed, I have wanted to change my name back to my maiden name. It has been a much anticipated process that takes far too long when your heart is broken and all you want to do is rid yourself of everything that reminds you of the heartache.
On February 6, the final judgement for the divorce was finalized, I went to Las Vegas to celebrate (part 1 & part 2) and then all I had to do was wait for the finalized/signed paperwork to come in the mail so I could legally change my name back and reestablish my identity as an unmarried lady ;-)
The paperwork finally arrived on Wednesday. Wednesday was the worst mail day ever. I had been anticipating the paperwork in the mail, but seeing it arrive was like a kick in the gut. I walked to my apartment after getting the mail, only to be greeted by flowers on my front door step. The first thought I had was ‘who sent me flowers?’ Valentine’s Day was only a few days away but I definitely didn’t have a Valentine, so I wasn’t sure who sent them to me. I brought them inside and opened the card and they were from one of my very best lady-friends who sent me flowers to wish me a ‘Happy Wednesday/Hump Day.’ I get on video chat and call my friend to thank her and, of course, I burst into tears, happy tears, tears of gratitude for all of the amazing people I have surrounded myself with in my time of need and despair, tears that this old book has finally closed and it is time for me to begin the next.
I hopped on the DMV website in hopes to make an appointment to change my name. I had no such luck, the next appointment wasn’t for weeks out, so I knew that I was going to have to brave the terrible lines and go in person without an appointment slot. I went into work the next day and my manager was kind enough to let me take care of everything the day after, Friday, the 13th.
I woke up early to hit the Social Security Office, then to head over to the DMV. I arrived at the SSO about 10 minutes before they opened and I was number 75 in line, if that. Fortunately, I brought a book to keep me occupied, and I waited. I waited for my number at the SSO to be called. I waited for just over an hour, easy-peasey! The SSO is walking distance to the DMV so I decided to walk over and enjoy the beautiful weather that the Bay Area is experiencing since I knew that I would be inside for the majority of the day. I walked into the DMV, took a number and was told that my wait would be more than three-hours long. I got comfortable and pulled out my book a few minutes before my mom walked in.
Now, let me stop right there, my mom is the best. She came to the DMV to keep me company while I waited. I am pretty sure that I am the luckiest, most blessed gal on the planet to have such a loving, supportive and encouraging mother.
Anyway, we waited for a bit and then she had the brilliant idea to head over to the post office to get the paperwork started for my passport. I got the paperwork filled out, took a new photo and got all of the information I needed to submit for a new passport (however, I had to wait until I was done at the DMV). We walked back to the DMV and we knew that we still had at least a couple of hours still until my number was called at the DMV. While I was getting my passport, I was told that I needed to pay with a check, I have no checks, so we decided that our next stop would be the bank to get a check. We walked over to the bank, I got a check and then sat down with a banker to change the name on my checking and savings accounts.
We headed back to the DMV with still over an hour to wait. So I called Chase, my credit card, changed my name right then and there over the phone, and I called Southwest to get the name on my rapid rewards account updated, I have to jump through 17 hoops and twirl in a circle to change my name on that account...annoying to say the least.
The DMV finally called my number, I changed my name with no issue in less than 10 minutes, took a new photo, went to the post office to mail in my passport application and then we headed to a local wine bar for a snack and some much needed wine.
The day started around 8:30am and was over around 2:30pm. It was a long day to say the least, but having my mom with me as moral support made the whole experience feel so much faster and smoother. If you are interested in reading my live tweets from the day, check out #lwbecomeslt
I am excited to be finally moving onward and upward!


6 comments:
I know it's a long & annoying process - I've been there too!, lol. But congratulations (again). :-)
Hooray LaTache TINDALE!! Glad you got that all squared away.. It was a disaster enough just re-doing mailing addresses and bills when I moved out. Glad to be done with it!
woo hoo for moving forward!!! I bet you are so relieved and a huge huge weight is now off your shoulders :) And seriously, your mom sounds like the best ever!! She loves you with all her heart and sounds like she is not only a mom, but the best friend you could have :)
You go!!!
Wow! What a long day!!! You're awesome for getting it all done.
Even though I don't know you, I just want to say that I am proud of you and find you inspiring :)
Post a Comment