Image Map

Thursday, March 13, 2014

#girlscan


#girlscan

This is such a powerful message for women today. How often do we hear that we as women can't do something? All of the messages that this strong, courageous, powerful women mentioned in this video have been heard before and it is so disappointing.It is especially important for us to teach the young women of our society that they can be who they want to be and they can do what they want to do and they can succeed. 

I grew up in an environment and space that taught me that if I wanted something I had to work for it to make it happen. My parents, family and mentors encouraged me to be the best woman that I could be. They also explained to me that there are inequalities between the sexes and I had to work extra hard if I wanted to breakthrough that stereotype. It is so imperative that we, women, are good role models to the young women today. To show them our strength and to empower them to be strong themselves. 

This video speaks to me because my mom (and other strong women in my life) has always taught me that I could and if ever I doubted myself she would bring me back to reality. To show me that I deserved to be treated well and fairly and to never settle. My father (and other strong men in my life) also taught me to stand up for myself and what I believed in. I hope that all of you have strong and supportive people in your life - it is crucial in making strong and independent women of the future.

#girlscan

1 comment:

Nina @ Flowers in my Hair said...

I definitely grew up in a girls can household too. Have you heard of the new campaign to ban the word bossy? Because it's always applied to women and it makes us feel as if we can't be leaders because then when we are assertive "we're bossy." That's a simple explanation but just google ban bossy.
www.wearflowersinyourhair.com