Image Map

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Beer Formerly Known as La Tache

Check out my earlier post about the Beer here.

After contacting the brewer and getting the history behind the name of the beer, I just had to have (a) a bottle and (b) a taste! I was finally able to get my hands on a bottle, well 2, and enjoyed it this weekend with my husband!

I contacted the brew master and he gave me the run down of the name and has a.ok’d me to share the story here!

“The story with my beer goes back to 1996 when I was in fermentation school in Davis, CA.  I made a number of friends, and many ended up in the wine industry.  One of my friends ended up getting a little dog that he called 'Tache' and all I knew at that time was that the dog had a spot on its back and that 'tache' meant 'spot'.  So cute, I thought.  Anyway, I name my barrels as opposed to giving them numbers.  2 years ago or so, I got a barrel with a giant spot on it and called it 'La Tache'.  The beer that came out of that barrel was magnificent, so I named the beer 'La Tache' as well, thinking about how clever I was to remember such a trivial piece of info from years ago.  Anyway, when my friend (who had the dog) found out, he emailed me and told me to be careful, that 'La Tache' is a trademarked name of the DRC.  So then I found out about the wine...

Since my brewery is super small and super exclusive and super American, I decided that instead of changing the name altogether, I'd add 'The Beer Formerly Known As' in front of it.  It's kind of a tongue in cheek reference to Prince, (...)”


So that is the story behind TBFKA La Tache. Thanks for sharing, and allowing me to share your story! I love it and I love retelling it! 

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the beer. It’s very light, refreshing and very bubbly! The beer is actually corked, so we needed a wine opener to get the cork out. Be careful, Rich wasn't expecting it to be as bubbly, so when he opened it he almost poked his eye out! If you are ever in Oregon, keep your eye out for a bottle and make sure to pick one up to enjoy!

IMG_4210

IMG_4212

IMG_4213

IMG_4214

IMG_4215

So freakin' cool!!
And definitely more affordable than the wine..ha!

No comments: