I get emails from Real Simple every day regarding pretty much everything!
Anything from a daily quote in the morning (which I typically update at the bottom of this blog) to a daily recipe, to ways to get organized.
---
I got an email about a guide to social media and read through it and thought it was really interesting!
So I want to share.
The World of Social Media
Imagine that you're at a gathering with everyone you've every met, from your niece to your high school gym teacher.
Now imagine that you've got a bullhorn into which you can broadcast every though you have the second you have it.
That is pretty much the world of social networking.
The Stats
49% of the 945 readers surveyed spend at least 3-hours per week on social-media sites
59% of the 945 readers surveyed use social media for both personal and professional reasons
49% of the 945 readers surveyed have more than 300 facebook friends
49% of the 945 readers surveyed spend at least 3-hours per week on social-media sites
59% of the 945 readers surveyed use social media for both personal and professional reasons
49% of the 945 readers surveyed have more than 300 facebook friends
Status Check
What to ask yourself before your next post
1) Am I trying to make up for something I'm not getting in real life?
In tough times, you nee a supportive friend who can offer real advice. Even advice that you would rather not hear. "Online it's easier to interpret things as we wish them to be and avoid the subjects we want to avoid" - Sherry Turkle - Author of Alone Together
2) Would I tell Matt Lauer on Today?
No? The reconsider! Wait before you hit submit. Consider this quote from The Social Network: " The Internet's not written in pencil...it's written in ink."
My Facebook, Myself
91% of the 945 readers surveyed said that social media made them feel more connected, only 29% said social media makes them happier.
83% of the 945 readers surveyed have admitted to self-destructive habits, like gawking at people from their past and 76% of the 945 readers surveyed compared themselves to others
Source:
Real Simple
I am totally an offender of all of these things!
Wow!
I do my best to not over share, because, well, it aint none o' yo bizzznes!
Ha!
But I know that I gawk...I totally do that!
It's a bad habit that I need to kick, asap!
Are any of you addicted to your facebook, twitter, blog, other social media sites?
I think that this article may kick me back to reality...
I sure hope so!
2 comments:
Great post about social media netiquette. I really like your analogy about social media and being a social event with everyone you ever knew. I can relate to this.
This was a really interesting and eye opening post. Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment