Image Map

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Day in the Life: Customer Service Volume 20

I spoke to the most ridiculous, the craziest, the most loony, the oddest, the most off of the wall woman of my entire time working here...

For purposes of this story I am going to make up a name for the subscriber - I apologize if it is in any way offensive to your name - I am purely making this up

I answered the phone and the customer had put in her account number or her phone number so it came up on the screen and I did not have to ask her for her last name and zip code.

Info you need before you read the story:
personal info has been changed
First Name on Account: P. Q.
Last Name on Account: SMITH-SMALL
The customer had a 2 week complimentary trial subscription that expired 3 weeks ago
after the greetings
Customer: I got an offer in the mail and I am looking at it right now.
Me: Ok, great, would you like to renew with us?
Customer: Well, first, my name is spelled wrong.Will you read to me what you have?
Me: I have: P. Q. S. M. I. T. H. S. M. A. L. L.
Customer: What is capitalized? 
Me: They are all capitalized. Our system writes everything in caps. How is it spelled on the offer?
Customer: The "S" in "Small" is not capitalized
Me: Um....ok....
Customer: This needs to be fixed. It has never been a problem before and I want to know who prints for you.
Me: Sure, hold on a second {So, I put her on hold and asked my buddy her question}
Me: Ma'am, thank you for holding, it is an outside source.
Customer: Well, this needs to be fixed.
Me: Ok, I will put a note in your account, but it is an outside company and I see that it is capitalized
Customer: What are you write, exactly, in my account so I can put it in my files
Me: That the "S" needs to be capitalized.
Customer: Which "S" {insert condescending tone}
Me: The "S" in "Small"
Customer: Ok, if I get any more notices and the "S" isn't capitalized, I will be forced to take my name out of your system and not get any more notices from you
Me: Would you like me to take you out of our system now?
Customer: No, only if this problem isn't corrected
Me: Ok...

and then the typical end of call chatter...
....
what??
Like, is this lady for real?
Oh my goodness...

9 comments:

Taryn said...

Holy crap. People are nuts!! How often is your patience tried at this job, anyway?

Christine said...

hahahaha! what?? so weird. This reminds me of the time I spent working on an inpatient mental health unit.

Jessica said...

Hahaha people will complain about the silliest things!!

Jen said...

Wow. People are insane. She got that worked up over something so simple...imagine what it's like to know her in real life...

Ashley said...

Yikes! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. But you always seem to handle these things so well! Kudos!! :)

sara [at] journey of doing said...

oy. i don't know HOW you do it.

kudos TO YOU!!

The Presutti's said...

That is really funny. I'm not sure how you have the patience to deal with them, ha. I am sure you get a lot of laughs though :)

The Presutti's said...

That is really funny. I'm not sure how you have the patience to deal with them, ha. I am sure you get a lot of laughs though :)

Mrs. Pancakes said...

LOL...you have the most frustrating yet funniest jobs ever!