As I mentioned a few Sunday's ago, the next few Can-Do Challenges will be coming from a book that I bought as a result of a college class that I ended up dropping and I was unable to part with this book!
I hope that these are as helpful and beneficial for all of you, as they were for me!
Stress Free For Good, written by Dr Fred Luskin & Dr. Kenneth R Pelletier, is a book that has seriously changed my life and how I manage myself :-) I hope that you all have the opportunity to read this book, and if not, please read my posts because they really do help :-)
The ninth life skill written about in this book is: Just Say No
Purpose:
~To remind you that you have choices
~To highlight the fact that, because you can say no, your yes is real and not forced
~To remind you that you're responsible for the choices you make
~To highlight the fact that, because you can say no, your yes is real and not forced
~To remind you that you're responsible for the choices you make
Practice:
~When someone asks you to do something that you don't want to do:
1) Take two or three slep, deep belly breaths.
2) Ask to get back to them
3) When you offer your response, choose one of the following:
"I've thought about this, and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to help you this time"
"I'm not going to be able to help you out in the way you asked; maybe together we can come up with a solution that works for both of us"
1) Take two or three slep, deep belly breaths.
2) Ask to get back to them
3) When you offer your response, choose one of the following:
"I've thought about this, and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to help you this time"
"I'm not going to be able to help you out in the way you asked; maybe together we can come up with a solution that works for both of us"
Tips:
~At first, practice saying no with people you trust
~Remember that you can choose to say no. Give the answer you want to give.
~You don't have to do something just because someone asked you to
~You don't have to say no, any more tahn you have to say yes; the choice is yours.
~Remember that you can choose to say no. Give the answer you want to give.
~You don't have to do something just because someone asked you to
~You don't have to say no, any more tahn you have to say yes; the choice is yours.
Application:
~When you're asked to take on extra work
~When you need to resist the bad habits of your peers
~When someone wants you to come over and you are exhausted
~When you need to resist the bad habits of your peers
~When someone wants you to come over and you are exhausted
Life Skill:
"Just saying no is a way of setting limits, being assertive without being angry, and communicating what you do and don't want to do to yourself and others" (192).
Again, all of this information comes straight from the book...I have paraphrased and generally it is not verbatim-I only chose a few items that have really helped me, that I hope will help you :-)
5 comments:
This is definitely something that everybody needs to learn! I have learned that I cannot say no right away, so it works best for me to say "let me get back to you." Then, I am more capable of saying no.
This is something I have to learn! I have trouble saying no!!
I love reading these. This is one I'm working on. I hate saying no to anyone, but I'm learning that I have to sometimes.
I think this is something I need to work on :)
This is definitely something that I am working on. :)
I would also like to give you the Versatile Blogger Award. http://tayirl.blogspot.com/2011/01/id-like-to-thank-academy.html
I absolutely love your blog, just thought I'd let you know :)
Post a Comment