Image Map

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Can-Do Challenge- Smile Because You Care


As I mentioned a few Sunday's ago, the next few Can-Do Challenges will be coming from a book that I bought as a result of a college class that I ended up dropping and I was unable to part with this book!

I hope that these are as helpful and beneficial for all of you, as they were for me!

Stress Free For Good, written by Dr Fred Luskin & Dr. Kenneth R Pelletier, is a book that has seriously changed my life and how I manage myself :-) I hope that you all have the opportunity to read this book, and if not, please read my posts because they really do help :-)

The seventh life skill written about in this book is: Smile Because You Care

"Try a smile right now. Think of the love you offer, and smile. Hold that smile for about 10 seconds. Every person that we've asked to do this has reported feeling better. In other words, not only do you smile when you feel happy, but you feel happy when you smile! Apparently you can't have one without the other. So if you want to experience a moment of happiness, smile" (156).

Purpose:
~To reflect on the positive reasons you do most of the things in your life
~ To remind yourself that you care about people

Practice:
~Think of something you did today and ask yourself why you did them and when you remember why, smile
~Think about how much you care about the people you do things for-and smile

Tips:
~Remember that often we do things because we want to help
~Reflect on how much you care for all the people around you and how much of a help you are to them
~Smile at people, and they'll more likely smile at you

Application:
~When you are feeling discouraged
~When you are feeling overworked
~When you're being photographed ;-)

Life Skill:
"When you smile, your body and mind move into a healing state of peace and well-being-so care, and then smile" (162).

Again, all of this information comes straight from the book...I have paraphrased and generally it is not verbatim-I only chose a few items that have really helped me, that I hope will help you :-)

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Love these posts, and thanks for the information about the book!! I can't wait to read this book!! Your blog is amazing to follow thanks for awesome blogs!

Rebekah said...

I love this skill! A smile is so simple and it can do so much!

Unknown said...

It takes less muscles to smile than frown!

Amanda Moury said...

I absolutely love this post. It's something so small that we all can do that can make the biggest difference. Thanks for the reminder :D - that was a smile with teeth!