Image Map

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Can-Do Challenge-Slow Down


As I mentioned a few Sunday's ago, the next few Can-Do Challenges will be coming from a book that I bought as a result of a college class that I ended up dropping and I was unable to part with this book!

I hope that these are as helpful and beneficial for all of you, as they were for me!

Stress Free For Good, written by Dr Fred Luskin & Dr. Kenneth R Pelletier, is a book that has seriously changed my life and how I manage myself :-) I hope that you all have the opportunity to read this book, and if not, please read my posts because they really do help :-)

The fifth life skill written about in this book is: Slow Down

Purpose:
~Put less strain on your body
~Free up more energy to accomplish your tasks
~To allow time to appreciate your life

Practice:
~Do a common activity slowly, carefully and with focused attention

Tips:
~Sometimes speed up what you are doing so that you can notice how uncomfortable that feels
~Practice doing something the usual way and then slow down and practice again
~Observe that food tastes better when eaten slowly
~You will find that family and friends will appreciate you more when you slow down to talk and listen to them.

Application:
~When waiting in life
~When rushing to an appointment
~When you notice you are driving too fast
~When you feel impatient
~When you feel bored

Life Skill:
"Slowing down and being absolutely focused on what you're doing is one of the most effective ways to manage stress and manifest both health and happiness" (132).

Again, all of this information comes straight from the book...I have paraphrased and generally it is not verbatim-I only chose a few items that have really helped me, that I hope will help you :-)

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I love your blog, and this post was great. I am reading a book about organizing your life and its all about slowing down and breaking everything down so you are aware of what is going on around you.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

Thanks for reading my mind! I'm a little stress ball and have noticed I really do need to slow down!! =) especially when it comes to eating! hehe

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons