Image Map

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Can-Do Challenge-Breathe from Your Belly!


When I was in College I signed up to take a Holistic Health class...just for fun. It ended up being too much for my schedule so I ended up dropping the class even though I hung on to one of the books. The book is called Stress Free For Good, written by Dr Fred Luskin & Dr. Kenneth R Pelletier, and if you know me, but at all, you know that I live by this book! I will recommend this book until I am blue in the face and everyone around me has read it, it is that life changing! So, the next few Sundays will have challenges, that actually double as Life Skills, from this book.

The first life skill written about in this book is: Breathe from Your Belly

Purpose:
~The simplest form of stress management
~Belly breathing helped you think in more productive ways

Practice:
~As you inhale, imagine your belly is a big balloon (yes, take that big of a breath)
~As you exhale, make sure your belly stays relaxed
~Take at least two or three more slow and deep breaths, making sure to keep your attention on the rise and fall of your belly

Tips:
~Practice every day
~You can practice even if you are not under any stress

Application:
~When you feel angry
~If you get nervous
~When you need to think before you speak
~When you need help falling asleep

Life Skill:
"Breathing slowly and deeply into and our of your belly is a signal to your mind and body to let go of stress and improve your health and happiness" (73).

Again, all of this information comes straight from the book...I have paraphrased and generally it is not verbatim-I only chose a few items that have really helped me, that I hope will help you :-)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a really good one and I will have to do this one too!

Suze said...

I'm deff doin this next time i cant sleep for sure. I've been havin trouble lately! thx for sharing :)

amanda said...

Thanks for following my blog!! :)
This is some good advice, I should try it some time!

I'm your new follower :)

Unknown said...

I totally learned all about belly breathing when I was in Theater! It totally helps calm and relax me.

Anonymous said...

Just by the title of this book, I know I need to go get it ASAP. Thank you for posting this. And for giving parenthetical citations. ;)

Jessica said...

What a great tip!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to drop in and thank you somuch for visting and following my blog and also for your sweet comments!! Have a blessed day! xoxo