thank you to everyone who gave me awards today! for some reason, I got a few today! I will respond to those tonight! I am in all day meetings today (Friday) and won't be able to get on the computer! I wish you all a FABULOUS FRIDAY!
Day 19-Something you Miss
Day 19-Something you Miss
We all know that I miss my Sweeter and that I can talk about this all day long until I am blue in the face and the sun goes down...so I will do my best to talk about something else :-)
So....something I miss....hmmm, this is a tough question...{and, yes, I am going to take this in a literal way :-)}
I miss how simple life used to be before we got all caught up in technology. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that life is made easier with computers and phones to keep in touch with everyone and the knowledge that it is at our fingertips, wow- I mean, WOW, our world has come so far!
![]() |
| Image |
We valued different things and we made different choices and efforts. We trusted our minds, brains and hearts. Today with the click of a button and a few types on the keyboard, we are paying our bills, checking our credit scores, shopping on-line and keeping in touch with faraway friends.
How incredible is it that we don't even have to leave our computer monitor to order groceries...what happened to going outside and getting some fresh air-oh that's right, we have all grown lazy...I know I am :-) {that said, I have never bought groceries on-line :-)}
Whatever happened to reading a book, the smell of it, the weight of it in your hand? That isn't important anymore, now we google it and we read our books on Kindles, iPods and Computers!
![]() |
| Image |
Don't even get my started on phones! Whatever happened to picking up your landline and calling your friend...don't you remember twirling the phone cord between your fingers?! I miss that! Now we don't even call...we text! Pick up a pen and paper and write a letter...I know that it makes my day every time I get letter mail-and NO, it is not the same as email!
We don't even have to go outside to exercise....Wii has come up with this WiiFit game that is supposed to be the equivalent of a work out...really?! Come on! Kids at school aren't required to do P.E. anymore...those classes have been replaced by computer and technology classes.
I miss that life used to be so much more simple!
![]() |
| Image |
Note: Don't get me wrong...I don't think that my life would be the same without my computer or my phone {granted, I don't have internet on my phone} I can't even begin to tell you how much having the internet has saved me! I have the opportunity to email with my Sweeter and get instant replies instead of having to wait weeks, sometimes months to hear back {I must say, that he sends me love letters in the mail and it always makes my entire week! There is just something about the fact that he touched that paper-it is amazing!}
Wow, who knew I had it in me to write such a rant :-) haha I swear...I am not really that mad :-)
Go check out Katie's blog and link up!!



15 comments:
I refuse to buy a nook/kindle/ereader. There is just something better about actually having a book in your hands. And I'll still go to the library just to feel that feelings of being surrounded by the books. Which makes me weird doesn't it?
And Sugar Britches and I were just talking about phones with cords. When I was in high school he and I would talk so long it would kill the batteries in the cordless so I finally bought a normal landline phone with a cord and yes, spent many a night twirling that cord around my finger talking to him.
I got a Kindle for my birthday and love it for the convenience when I travel but as far as picking up a REAL book, you just can't replace that! Like you said, the feeling, the smell, the action of flipping the pages... you can't do that with an electronic book.
I try to walk my dog every day because the act of GETTING OUTSIDE is just fantastic to me. The smell of the air and the feeling of the wind. WiiFit don't have that! Haha
I miss when life was simpler too. I loved browsing through the encyclopedias!
Agreed a thousand times over! ....I almost feel sorry for "kids these days," but Im sure that's how our parents and grandparents felt about our generation.
oh i so agree! i love the convenience of technology but do wish things were a lot simpler! my mom still turns to her encyclopedia sometimes :)
and i'm beginning to think our friendship might not be able to continue with how badly the giants are destroying us but i'll work through it ;)
have a great weekend!!
I totally love the smell of a book and reading a REAL book over anything electronic!
I miss the simple days too I had to go to the library awhile back and was blown away on how I was suppose to find a book.
I couldn't agree more about technology. I refuse to buy a video game thing for my kids and totally limit computer / tv time. Our priorities would really shift if we could just do away with it all.
I'm with you 110%! Don't get me wrong, its nice sometimes. But whats wrong with picking up the phone and calling someone....I'm not gonna sit and have an entire converstation over texting...I refuse! And I'm with you on the books, too. People make fun of me because I've always been one of those that have to have my "own" book (cd, movie)...they're like trophy's to me. I need to have them for display purposes haha!
PS...I love your picture in your header! I couldnt help but smile when I saw it because you can tell how happy y'all are and how in love you are with each other :)
I couldn't agree more, however I do love all the technology that I have too. Uggghhh what a double edged sword.
I totally agree. I didn't get a cell phone until I was a snr in college for this very reason...and then my bf who is my husband now got me one for safety reasons and now I feel like it's so much a part of my life that I can't just ride in the car, no music, windows down and be in that moment. Thanks for reminding me of the simpler things in life.
btw, I finally answered your questions. Thanks again for the tag.
http://afteristeppedoutinwhite.blogspot.com/2010/10/fabulous-friday-award.html
Hey! Thanks for following :) Figures that you'd do so right when we're about to go on a short hiatus (about 1.5 weeks) for our honeymoon!
I agree about Kindles. I love books, love the smell of them, the feel of pages between my fingers, the ability to write notes in the margins and underline great quotes. But...I travel so much that I think I'm going to have to give in and get a Kindle, probably within the next six months :-/
I completely agree. Sometimes when I look at old pictures of my family - parents & grandparents - I think how much simpler life was back then. Not easier mind you, just simpler.
I couldn't agree with you more!
Post a Comment