Guest Post By: Melissa Schollaert
I almost hate to say this, but Christmas is almost here
(deep breath- you will get everything done!) If you’re anything like me, it can
feel like all is lost in the waist line department. It’s hard to find time to
be physically active, you’re stressed out, and grabbing whatever little cookie
or holiday treat will suffice, so long as you don’t pass out and have time to
get all of today’s chores done. Now I’m
here to tell you that you can have healthier holidays. Yeah right, with what
time?? I know….stick with me, I’ll show
you how.
First, let’s talk a couple quick and easy substitutions in
cooking. These are game changers when it comes to weight loss and maintenance
during the holidays.
Instead of typical mashed potatoes, try my healthy
cauliflower mashers (recipe here)
This tasty dish will save you 180 calories per serving and add desperately
needed holiday fiber.
And how about shaving off a few more calories, adding some
more fiber, incorporating some seasonal fruit and sacrificing zero taste?? This
one’s simple….use unsweetened applesauce as a healthy substitute for eggs,
sugar, or oil in your baking. It measures cup for cup, but if subbing for oil
add an extra 1/4 to 1/3 cup of what the recipe calls for to keep it moist.
Ok, how can you keep yourself in check the day of an event? Well, my favorite rule of thumb is go to your
event with a specific plan. I know this sounds really easy, but have you ever really
thought about it? Let me give you a specific example. My grandmother is a
fabulous baker, but she’s also got boxed candies, store bought goodies, and the
neighbors creepy fruitcake on the dessert table. If I do not go with a plan of what exactly I
want, I completely overindulge in things I never even wanted to eat. Plan on
eating exactly what you want the most, make a plate of your favorite things, and
savor each and every bite. When you are finished, position yourself away from
the buffet, get a glass of water to keep hydrated and keep your mouth busy with
a stick of gum. These last steps help you to avoid recreational eating.
My favorite practical, overall seasonal, tip goes against everything
as American as paying taxes, but has to be said. Plan on NOT dieting after the
New Year. Anticipation of food restriction sets us up for binge type eating
over the holidays. It’s the idea of I’m never going to have cookies (or insert
your favorite food) again after the first, so I may as well eat as much as
possible now. I myself have eaten half a pie because of this type of thinking,
and felt horrible mentally and physically afterword. And we all know restrictive
diets do not work in the long run. They
slow metabolism, while increasing anxiety, depression, food preoccupation, and
binge eating, as well as making it more likely to re-gain weight. Do yourself a
favor, eliminate this type of thinking and you’ll likely start your New Year
better than ever before. Who wants the guilt of quitting that new diet by the
third or fourth anyway??
Remember, the food we eat is very important for health and
balance, but what really feeds us does not come on a plate. Things that feed us
are open and honest relationships, creative outlets, exercise and
spirituality. These are the things I would encourage you to feed yourself an
abundance of this holiday season in order to stay balanced, nourished and get
the most out of this holiday season.
I know I cannot possibly cover everything in one article so,
I’d love to invite you to a free recording of my entire Healthy Holiday
Workshop (Dial 1(862) 902-0123 and enter Recording ID: 12644955 when prompted). The audio is 31 minutes and is guaranteed to help you maintain
weight, feel more balanced and more thoroughly enjoy the rest of the holiday
season. As a holiday gift to you, simply email realnutritiousliving@yahoo.com
for your free healthy substitution guide (this is great to hang on your fridge
and use year round!)
Lastly, I am giving away a free private health counseling
session. Simply email realnutritiousliving@yahoo.com
or comment below after you've listened to the recording with your favorite tip
and you’re entered in the drawing to win! For additional chances to win, simple
share this post on Facebook or Twitter (and let us know you did so!)
Thanks, Melissa!
I had the honor of listening in on the Holiday Workshop, live, and it was phenomenal!
She mentions great tips and has great ideas for staying healthy, while indulging, during the holidays!
Who knew you could have both!
:-)
---
An Indiana girl at heart with her toes in the California sand, Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health and Nutrition Counselor, the founder of Real Nutritious Living, teacher of monthly workshops at Whole Foods, and has been published on various health websites. She’s an avid yogi, always improving surfer, and a firm believer in faith, love, and the healing power of green juice. She’s got a heart for helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest happiest life.
For more information visit www.RealNutritiousLiving.com
No comments:
Post a Comment