I made a very yummy dinner in our crock pot and I would like to share.
I have been very hesitant to using the Crock Pot because the first time I used it, I would say 5 years ago now , the meal was terrible!! And the second time, which was a couple of weeks ago, we pretty much used it just to keep the chili warm.
So, last night, we made chicken burritos. We buy the chicken from Costco, so it is already separated in 2 breasts per package. I transferred the chicken into a ziplock bag and poured McCormick taco seasoning into the bag and coated the chicken. Once the chicken was coated I browned the chicken for 4 minutes on each side, to really seal in the taco seasoning flavor.
After the chicken was browned, I put the chicken in the crock pot. I covered the chicken with a jar of Pace salsa. I then sprinkled some chili flakes and poured some Tapatio into the mix. I kind of mixed it all up making sure to keep the chicken covered.
I let the chicken cook for about 4 hours. 3 hours into the process, I cut up red and green bell peppers and some onions and just laid them on top of the mixture to steam them a bit and give them some of the chicken flavor.
Meanwhile, we made brown rice, and added onions, salt, garlic powder and pinto beans (we prefer black, but we didn't have any in the cabinet). We grated cheese and waited for the chicken to be done.
Like I said, I cooked it for about 4 hours on high heat. When I checked on line for a time to cook chicken it said that if you cook it on high, it would be done cooking in about 1.5 hours.
We made burritos and they were delicious! The chicken just fell apart! We shredded it with 2 forks, we didn't even need a knife! Oh my! We didn't add any more salsa to the burritos because there was a lot of sauce in the crock pot, so we just used that.
Oh my, I am now sad that I gave Sweeter all of the leftovers for lunch today ;-)
Ingredients
(of course, you can substitute any of these ingredients):
2 Chicken Breast
1 Package of McCormick Taco Seasoning
1 12oz Jar of Pace Salsa (Medium)
Chili Flakes (to your desired heat preference)
Tapatio (to your desired heat preference)
1/2 of an Onion (thick slices)
Red and Green Bell Peppers (thick slices)
Brown Rice
Beans (of your choice)
1/3 Onion (Diced)
Salt
Garlic Powder
Tortillas
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
(Please forgive my lack of measurements...I learned to cook just by using the eye and tasting everything, so I don't really measure too much - and also, it is just one more thing to have to clean!)
Happy Thursday!
5 comments:
This sounds amazing! I am definitely going to be trying this.
This sounds yummy!! I'm going to have to try this.I'm always looking for new crock pot recipes since my crock pot has became my new bast friens Oct, 2007
YUM! This sounds so good!! I'm going to print this now so I can add it to the *must try* list. I <3 my slow cooker! Thanks for sharing.
I'm the same way! I rarely measure my ingredients. :)
sounds delish!!! :)
Post a Comment