Image Map

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Books Books Books

I love to read! I like to take public transportation [silly, I know!] so I get the time to read!

At the beginning of the summer, I finished Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell.
I liked it, but I felt that it was a little repetitive and was boring and dry at times. Even though I thought that it was boring and dry, I took a lot from it and would recommend reading it to anyone who is interested in getting into the marketing field.
***
After Blink, I read The Tipping Point, also by Malcolm Gladwell.

I really enjoyed this book, more than Blink. I thought that this book was more practical than Blink and I felt like I was able to relate better to the content of the book. Of the two books, I would DEFINITELY recommend The Tipping Point!

Malcolm Gladwell is a very smart man who knows how to convey his point in his writing and really knows how to capture his audience.

Neither book is a real page turner, it is based on real life experiences of why people do what they do, how they do it, and what the repercussions are of their actions as well as describing snap judgments and how it is important to do while being very difficult. They, both, were quite good, and I am looking forward to reading Malcolm Gladwell's third book, Outliers.

Both Blink and The Tipping Point came highly recommended to me by a few of my friends as well as a professor of mine from college. I have gone on more than a handful of interviews since I have graduated and I have be able to bring up both books in all of my interviews! It has worked in my favor every time because my interviewer has always heard or has read the books!
[A+ for me!]
***
After The Tipping Point, I read Beach Road, written by James Patterson.

Beach Road was a quick and easy read. I was recommended this book by a family friend. It is a murder mystery and I was entertained, but a little disappointed. I thought the book was a little boring, but the ending of the story made the entire read worth it! There was a crazy twist at the end that I was REALLY not expecting! And usually, I am good about guessing endings! It was very unexpected! The book is about 350 pages and if you are looking for a story that is quick, maybe you are going on a little vacation, I would recommend this one!
***
Now I am reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. I am not far into it [I am just getting the hang of the authors writing style]. I like it so far, and I have heard great things about it! I am excited to really get into it!

Blink, Tipping Point, Beach Road

1 comment:

Adrienne Gomer said...

I love reading too! The Tipping Point is on my list of books to read. Let me know if you ever want book recommendations or if you have any.